Thursday, April 8, 2010

The before and afters continue

Now let's go inside...here is the entry from the terrace.


Remember these are the "during" photos; we had already torn off the mint green wall paper but before we had removed the plasterboard to find the beautiful "colombage" (half timbered brick wall) and the well.









The well is in the wine cellar and when we broke down the plasterboard it was evident that, at one time the well had been here. So I put it back.










This what it looks like today.
I don't have a before picture of the staircase.  But boy we were surprised when we ripped up the rug, thinking to find cement and found this wonderful wood.













But wood burns....

The living room during.  Here we had stripped off a dark brown stringy wallpaper, took the plasterboard off the lovely beams, and torn down the red brick fireplace.










I found the stone fireplace in a nearby village,
 my handiman, Gus, made the fire bender.  I was so proud of this room.  I would sit for hours in front of the fire sipping a brandy and chatting with my guests.














Oh, no, another maudlin moment. Don't worry I'll get over it.

Because I don't want to sit on the fire bender any more...


And,I don't have my kids paintings to look at anymore.

The TV room was, if you can believe it, one of the hotel rooms before.  Six rooms shared the same toilet and bath. There were, however, a sink and a bidet in each room--remember we are in France!











The after renovation becomes the before fire.
And the after fire becomes the before renovation.

I will continue this tomorrow, Samantha is back from being with her dad and we are going out for dinner.  I am still trying to master the art of the stove and oven in the appartment.









Kristi Anderson is the orignal owner of Tea and Tattered Pages and until February 6, 2010 ran a bed and breakfast near Orléans.
kristi anderson
le saint jacques le coin perdu
15, place de l'église
45240 Ligny le Ribault
TheAmericanFrog@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment